History of Rothschild
The birth of the Village of Rothschild was directly tied to the Marathon Paper Mill built in 1909. The mill’s location on the Wisconsin River was chosen because it offered a favorable site for a dam and hydroelectric plant, and the company’s resulting success led to Rothschild being officially incorporated by 1917. Through multiple owners over the years, both the mill and the community have continued to be excellent partners in the development and prosperity of the village. Today, Domtar’s Rothschild Mill includes one paper machine and serves as the village’s largest employer, providing over 400 jobs.