History of Port Huron
Known as the “Maritime Capital of the Great Lakes,” the city of Port Huron stretches for seven miles along the shore of the St. Clair River and the base of Lake Huron. Its location at the international border crossing with Point Edward, Ontario has also given the city the nickname of the Gateway to Canada. Incorporated in 1857, the City of Port Huron began as an early shipbuilding and lumber trade town and continues to host a diverse economic base today. Domtar’s Port Huron mill manufactures various grades of specialty paper and employs over 250 individuals.